Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saturday Morning

In the wee early morning hours of Saturday, while the rest of the world slept, Chad, his brother, uncle and friend began hiking up Ben Lomond, skis in tow, in pursuit of the chance to ski down the famed mountain's face (doesn't that line add some nice Discovery Channel drama to the story). The Round trip in all took about six hours. They started at 5400 feet and top out at 9700. Pretty impressive for a lazy Saturday morning. Here are some cool pictures of their grand adventure.

Chad near the beginning of the climb.

This picture was taken about half way up the trek. You can get a clear picture here of how steep of a climb it was. They started on skies then switched to ice axes and crampons when it got too steep for skis.

This is a shot of them hiking right up the face of Ben Lomond.

Morning light breaking over the mountain.

Looking back over Mt. Ogden.

I love this shot of where they broke trial. It is a great shot with a nice In To Thin Air vibe to it. I love Paul's shadow of him taking the picture. This is the final ridge line to the summit.

Chad and Ben standing on top.

Getting ready to take the plunge.

Isn't this a cool shot. I saved the best for last. The funny thing about this picture is he was trying to take a picture looking out over the horizon, but he slipped and instead took this picture, which ironically is my favorite one.

8 comments:

Butch Tiger said...

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams of doing that. What a great adventurer. Wow. dc

Rip Curl Mom said...

That is amazing and also a little terrifying for me to think about! Way to g Chad!

njfroerer said...

When I grow up I want to be like Chad.. .N

Wight Family said...

All I can say about that last pic is I'm so glad he caught himself.
Chad is way too awesome. I'm so glad he made it home in one piece. He can now check that off the list and you can sleep peacefully on Saturday mornings again.

Check.

Tiffanie said...

I did that the Sat before. Had I known they were going up I would have combined our two groups. It was a truly awesome experience! I will have to post my pictures...oh wait, that was the roll that didn't develop...I am WAY bummed.

Jardine Family said...

Wow...those are amazing pictures. Makes my Saturday morning look a little boring!

Butch Tiger said...

Now my Saturday morning went like this; I got up around 9:00, let Brown Dog and Chester out and got me some Cheeros and some Chocolate milk as a chaser then jumped back into bed and watch Skooby Do for about an hour while I had a "few" Golden Oreos-I love those, and some more milk. I then Checked my email and got in the truck and took a ride to town after I grabed a coke at the Mav. I took care of grandma and then drove home after I got a Twinkie. I was home by noon and back on the couch by 12:30. I told Linda it was a hard day, "you don't want to know about it." She was good with that and then I fell asleep.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

All we have to say is-- Awesome... seeing those great pictures makes us miss the mountains in Utah more than ever!