Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Brace Face

This morning was spent in the office of a very over enthusiastic Orthodontist. I mean seriously....could putting metal spacers on teeth really be that much fun? I soon found out I would smile too when I discovered how much he charges to glue those pieces of tin foil on. I was there with not one of my children, but two. They smile, they tell you how beautiful your children are, how lovely is the morning, they offer you cold refreshing water, food and prizes. Then they have you watch an instructional video that is a tear jerker of before and after braces and how braces are changing the world. They tantalize the children with what color they can have for their elastics and retainers (Carver is getting a retainer). Of course having fine tuned style sense from their mother, my children choose the best and most unnoticeable color to draw attention to their soon to be braces. Fluorescent Green and glow in the dark yellow for Taylor, and for Carver Fluorescent green, mixed with glow in the dark blue. Like I said fine tuned sense of style. The colors threw me for a loop right up until they then told me how much everything is going to cost. And I left in a daze wondering how I could manage to craft braces out of tin foil, glue and hair elastics.

5 comments:

Wight Family said...

You know Kelli, I think you are really crafty and could possibly pull it off. You ought to try! Then you could add that to your repertoire of things YOU can do that make you special, like wearing bright yellow shoes for soccer and making AMAZING plays while wearing them!

Butch Tiger said...

I say we read up on it and do it ourselves. If we can train Brown Dog to sit and stay can't we use that knowledge to make braces for teeth?

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Braces are so expensive... I can't believe you have two old enough for braces already! When I worked for Dr. Allred, I was always shocked at how much treatment costed. I still am wondering what my mother's grand total was, putting all 8 of us through braces. It is worth it though... your boys will have beautiful teeth and you will be glad you spent your life savings on their teeth. Let me know if you figure out how to do it yourself... good idea.

Wight Family said...

You could also use Brown Dog in the collections department, as well as help keep the children seated while their braces are being put on.

The Huntsville Dunns said...

That is so funny.....will you let me know if you do come up with a homemade metal smile? I need to get Taylar started sometime before high school. (You don't want to be kissing boys with braces....been there done that) Not fun!