Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WHERE IS SKIP??

The other day we had a door to door salesman selling cleaner (cleaner that was the same price as a small sports car, mind you), and when he got to the door I thought,"Where is Skip........I need Skip?" Skip was our old neighbor in Ogden (when I say old, I mean that we used to live by him, not that he is two-hundred and two years old). Nobody could chase away a salesman like Skip. Whenever a salesman would knock on our door, in Ogden , I would open the door to find Skip asking the salesman where his license to sell door to door was and why doesn't he take that vacuum and go sell it in another neighborhood, because we already have vacuums in this one! (And we did too!)
I also have to attribute Skip to my very first experience of a CITIZEN'S ARREST. I knew they existed, but I have actually never seen one happen (especially outside my front window). We lived on a hill that high schoolers liked to drive fast down and "catch air". Skip called me on the phone and told me about a white car that he had witnessed doing this exact thing about three times in the last twenty minutes. He said to keep my kids inside and to watch for it. Not more than two minutes later, I looked out the window and the next thing I saw was Skip throwing one of those LARGE green garbage cans out in front of a small white car to stop it. The car stopped. Skip told the driver to get out and that he was calling the cops. I have never been prouder, he talked about kids that live on that street and how good the neighborhood was and how we didn't want punky kids driving fast down our road. By the time skip was done he had that kid was quaking in his over-sized sneakers. After that I always joked that if I ever was in trouble I wouldn't mess with the cops, I was just going to call Skip!! Skip you better be around when my kids are teenagers, because I am bringing them to your house (or better yet just move up by us)!! Don't you wish you could take good neighbors with you when you move. That is always the worst part about moving. I could go on and on about fun Skip stories and what great neighbors him and his wife, Kathy were (they had the BEST yard -we got to stare at it and pretend it was ours).

*****I forgot to tell this story: We moved next to the Warners right as the snow started falling. Chad couldn't figure out why our dog was putting on weight. When, the weather started to warm up, Chad and I were out on the patio, when we heard Skip's door open. Then we saw two large dog bones sail over the fence, and the door close. Mystery solved. Oakley would sit by that fence for hours just waiting to hear that door open. It turned out Skip is a big wig in the pet foods industry (Oakley misses you too, Skip). I would have been in trouble if he was a big wig in the chocolate industry. We love and Miss you!! Thanks for the fun message on the answering machine, you made our day.

4 comments:

Butch Tiger said...

I add my vote to Kelli's. Skip would be the best neighbor anyone could have. The only downside was that his yard was so clean no weed would dare grow there. Thanks for all you've done. dc

Rip Curl Mom said...

I still have those oversized white shoes by the way. And now that I know his name is Skip, I'm going after him.

Wight Family said...

I wonder if he ever had any experiences with Mike as a youngster... he was always in trouble, just not enough to get a dirty nose.
We do need a Skip up here. I hate door knockers. And when I get unsolicited phone calls. Unless they are offering dark chocolates for free for life, I'd probably take them up on that, but not a cool picture package...

My dog would probably like Skip too.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Love the story... that sounds like good old Uncle Skip. I tell ya, the Warner men have little "OCD" in them when it comes to yardwork... my brother Jason, cleans his gutters, etc... I sure do miss the Warner family. I have been in contact with them through blogging... I love seeing them again. It sure is nice to have good neighbors. We have the Angels next door and they are the best. We are going to have a hard time moving. We might just have to convince them to move to Utah with us!