Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Favorite sounds.

1. The sound of the wind blowing through the large cottonwood trees at the little red house. The red house was our first home. We didn't have air conditioning, thus on the sultry, warm summer nights we would open the bathroom window (practically the only window that could open in the 130yr old house) and the front door to let the breeze in. I loved falling to sleep to the sound of the cottonwood leaves and branches being stirred by the wind.


2. Chad's voice in the morning................he always wakes up happy!

3. The sounds of the ocean; waves crashing, birds chirping, the sound of the water receding from the sand, plastic shovels digging, kids building castles, the random laughter when a wave sneaks up and gets an unsuspecting "beach walker" drenched, etc.

4. The pitter patter of my children's feet running across the floor. In all the houses we have lived we have always had wood floor. I can be in a totally separate room, and tell you which child is coming towards me just by the sound of the rhythm of his feet walking, skipping, running or shuffling across the wood.

5. My late Grandpa Hunter's laugh. He had a very distinct laugh that was like a chuckle, sometimes, if I listen, I can still hear it when something that he would've gotten a kick out of happens.


6. The sounds of a chickadee bird. This is Chad's favorite bird chirp, and every time I hear one it reminds me of the summer before we got married.

7. The silence that comes after a giant, socked in, snow storm. I love the moment when it has just finished dropping it's last snowflake; there is no wind, no sound, it is just still.


8. The sound of my children's breathing just after they have fallen asleep.


9. The sound of a horse chewing on a carrot or alfalfa. I love the sound of their teeth grinding against each other. The chewing (and the smell of horse sweat), can instantly take me back to being little girl and watching my dad brush down the horses.

10. The sounds of the old Patio/ Wolf Creek pool. Can't you just hear the commotion of kids splashing, running and playing, and the wind blowing gently through those big trees that were west of the old warm pool. That melody was all I needed to lull me into an afternoon catnap on my towel after a few hours of swimming.


11. The blow of a whistle at the start of a competitive soccer game. I always loved those first moments when butterflies filled your stomach.


12. The sound of a campfire crackling. Preferably in Moab or Jackson.


13. The sound of crickets at night! I love this sound because it indicates it is summer.....(I am a summer girl at heart).


14. The sound of the closing prayer at church........(ha!ha!)

15. The sound of sparklers on the fourth of July............(my favorite day of the whole year).


16. Any song by Jack Johnson. Chad and I scalped tickets, years ago, before he was big time. He was opening for somebody else, but we were really there just for him. He played barefoot and the setting was against the hillside at Deer Valley....................to this day it is still one of my favorite concerts!

17. The sound of a summer rainstorm.

18. The background music you hear when you walk down mainstreet USA in Disneyland.

19. The Primary song a Child's Prayer.

20. The sound of eating corn on the cob.

6 comments:

bigfootusa said...

The distinct metal click of a lead rope being hooked to a halter. What great memories!

Rip Curl Mom said...

Great post. Brought a lot of fun things to my mind as well. I also love the sound of crickets!

Ferguson Family said...

Cool post. It invoked thoughts of some of my favorite sounds. I'll have to take your word for it on Chad's voice in the morning though.

Tiffanie said...

Amazing how simple sounds can bring back so many special memories. I will add that I like the sound a kite makes when it is soaring through the air.

Sheri said...

Thanks for starting my morning off with fun thoughts about things I love to hear too! Great post! I love all that about horses too and summer and campfires and....

Troy said...

That was a great thoughtful post... we love to read your blog....