Friday, April 9, 2010

From Past to Present

This picture turned up on facebook a few days ago.


It is of my sixth grade class. Aren't we a styling, good looking bunch? Everyone left funny comments about our clothes, hair and good times together. Amazing the power of a picture! My favorite comment was left by Craig Smith, he said, " I can't remember the names of people from a week ago but, I can name everybody in this picture." He is sooo right! Seventeen years later and I can tell you who broke their leg, who was good at dodge ball, who sat on the heater after eating lunch and how bad I felt when I hid Amy Walker's pencil box. I can also tell you who was good at sneaking over to Leon's Market w/out getting caught (For the record, the one time I snuck over there I got caught, and was suspended from recess for a whole week), who was good at jump rope, who liked to play four square and that Michelle Melle could type the faster than anyone in our grade, even though she had mono for half of the year. I can smell the mildewy, humid air of the hallways, hear the sound of the playground at recess and the chatter of students as they wait for food in the lunch line. I am struck by how I treasure those common experiences we all shared at school. At the time I took it all for granted! If I could go back I would live it up to the fullest (especially the part where I have realized that adults REALLY don't know anything.......ha!ha!) There are people in this picture I haven't thought about for years, but when I saw their faces I felt a bond with them that only a valley childhood can bring. There is so much potential sitting in this picture and what a gift it was to get to grow up with such a fun, crazy and wild bunch of kids! I would love to know every one's story, where their road of life has taken them and how different the world is........for them now, compared to how it looked, to each of us, on the day this picture was taken.

*I am sitting on the front row, second from the right.
.....

5 comments:

Mrs. Rouglah said...

There is a whole lot of acid wash going on in that picture!haha. I had forgotten about how fast Michelle could type. I do remember the smell of the hallways and the vending machine the sold juice boxes(so cool). I have the recipe for the fudge that they served in the cafeteria. It is made with a very strange "secret" ingredient.

Tiffanie said...

I picked you out before I even read... I must be amazing. Elementary school is awesome. I agree that had I known how clueless adults are, I would have had a lot more fun. I was a rule follower. In hindsight...that would be changed. So much sluffing to do and now it wouldn't even matter. No one even cares if I come or go anymore. A true opportunity wasted on obedience. Damnit. Damn it. How do you spell that anyway? How can I swear if I don't know how to spell it?

Butch Tiger said...

This is great Kelli. I look at my elementary school pics and feel the same way. This where the high school reunions should get their people from. Yhese bonds last youtr whole life. So much fun and good memories.

Ferguson Family said...

Elementary was awesome. Where else could you show up in an identical outfit with your best friend (Mason) and think that was going to be cool? Yea I miss those days.

Wight Family said...

That was an excellent post Kelli. I agree completely... though I didn't grow up in the valley! Go Roosevelt Red Barons... now the Raptors (so dumb!)