Monday, November 2, 2009

THE RUNDOWN

Pictures from the school Halloween Parade:

Nija Zach

Grim Reaper Tay


Dragon Nanner

Hot Dog Carver

I had to post pictures of the day before, because I failed to take my camera trick-or-treating........I didn't want them to lose their focus. Thus instead I have provided some thoughts and insight into our night. Here it is:


The Halloween Night Breakdown:
15 large candy bars.
Loads of snack size candy bars
1 trunk or treat we refused to go to.
1 toothbrush
1 slinky
2 root beers
2 homemade doughnuts
2 large blisters on Nanner's heels from running around in a dragon costume.
7 houses who had their lights on, pumpkins lit and didn't answer the door.
7 valuable minutes wasted.
7 houses now on our "TO DO" toilet papering list.
7 sugar induced hangovers.
1 incredible night of laughing, running, and merriment.

Commentary:
1. Here is the deal. Trunk or treats are lame. Really, it is not about kids safety, it is about lazy people. I refuse to support trunk or treats. I have been to one and I never need to go to another one. What is fun about walking in a circle and having people give you a tootsie roll out of their trunk?
2. The harder you run, the more candy you get. One little boy in our group asked (after the first couple of houses),"Why do we have to run?" The response: "We run for the rush. Thrill of that large candy bar hitting the bottom of your sack. We run, because we can! And because if you walk..........you are not invited back next year. Walking is not an option on this candy train." (It was his first time coming with us, so I gave him a little slack) I am proud to report by the end of the night he was jumping out of the car before it even came to a complete stop.
3. Maintain the Pain. This is for Sam. Sam twisted his knee on the third house. Sam is an exceptional Basketball player, but he put his prestigious career on the sideline and risked it all by continuing to trick-or-treat. I am proud to report he sucked it up and trick-or-treated through the pain. His example of sacrifice and determination will stand as a beacon for others to follow.
4. If you are not going to answer the door and pass out candy on Halloween night..............Please deflate the blow up ghost and turn off the pumpkin lights on the porch. And don't try to hide, we can see your silhouette through the window.
5. For all of those who passed out candy, boycotted the trunk-or-treat and fulfilled our Hallows Eve dreams........you rock!!

7 comments:

Rip Curl Mom said...

HAHAHAHA! I agree with the trunk or treat but my boys hit that and the neighborhoods because they figure, more candy. I just might send them to the "Booth Family Halloween training for Holiday Dorks". We sure need some of your wisdom!

Carly said...

Ditto on the trunk-or-treat thing. Lame-o with a capital L. I've never been to one and refuse to ever go to one.

Lisa Carter said...

Right on Kel, I feel the same way about trunk or treats! Lazy, stupid, lame, kill joys! I feel that the only thing that justifies letting the children binge themselves silly on sugar, is the marathon that they ran to acquire it. Hold to your guns sister. (It may only be us out ringing doorbells, and by dang it if they don't answer the door...I have eggs)

Tiffanie said...

I am proud to report that I was not home but followed ALL Halloween etiquette. All lights were out, all pumpkins were dark, and I don't even own a blow up ghost. Too bad my house was robbed. Just kidding. We had an awesome Halloween as well. No blisters though...maybe next year.

TeamTyson said...

It's hard when people dont get it! I am proud to report I have NEVER been to a trunk or treat. It's like when you see people walking at Disneyland and not RUNNING from one ride to the other. What are they thinking?????

mama fish said...

All I can say is AMEN!!! You do it right up in the valley!

Jen Booth said...

I love the costumes! I've gotta ask, what's a trunk or treat? Is it a new Utah thing? Or am I just really out of it? Probably the latter. Anyway, Kelly, great post. I could feel the urgency of the trick-or-treating!