Monday, September 14, 2009

LOTOJA!!

LOTOJA 2009. 206 miles. Eleven hours and 22 minutes. Mission accomplished.

Here is our biker man......

Taking off.

On the move. I am loving this sign.

Chad reaching the top of Salt River Pass.

Salt River Pass is the high point of the course. At this point in the race I was at home probably finishing off my first box of Bon Bons.

Chad giving the "Feeling OK sign."


Chad at the finish line.


All of the above photos are brought to you by Team Discovery's team manager Ross Walker. He supported Chad for the duration of the race. Here is a picture of our team captain that I stole off Facebook....well half a picture anyway.
While pirating a picture of our team captain I came across this little post of his on Facebook, thought it was funny and thought I would include it with his picture (Ross is also one of the funniest people you will ever meet). Hence, I present ROSS' stream of thought:
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Feeling a little lazy today.
You know how there is always that one person in the neighborhood that is just so ‘in shape’ and fit that it makes you crazy? Yeah, well I have a whole neighborhood full of them! Allow my to share a little detail on just 3 of them.. there are many more.
In order to protect the identities of the innocent lets just call these 3 Chad, Shane and Nick.
First Shane.. this guy is a freak..i mean amazing. To say that Shane like to run would be like saying that I have lost a little hair. I am not exaggerating when I say that Shane's ‘training’ runs are marathon distance. No kidding, 25 miles is like a bi-weekly event for this guy. Its also important that you know that pavement is for sissies in Shane's book. He runs daily on trails, but he does it at the pace that normal (using that term loosely) people run on the road. This Saturday Shane ran whats called the Wasatch 100 (its being considered the replace water-boarding in the military). Its a 100 mile trail run across the peaks of the Wasatch Front. He completed the run is 28 hours. No sleep, just run for more than a whole day. They actually have people that do like a physical at the rest stations to determine if you are allowed to continue! Shane, if you need a Dr. to tell you if you are allowed continue you then it might not be a safe sport?!
Nick…. Nick is also a runner, and the worst kind. You see Nick is so flippin’ casual about running that you feel fat just standing next to the guy. Finding out that he participated in a Marathon is like finding out other people ate breakfast. He does it so easy. Never says a word about training, pain, recovery, finish times or anything else. Just loves to run. Like it is just one of those things that people do, and is almost looks surprised to find out that you did not run 3 billion miles this morning. He probably passed you in your car on the way to work this morning. Hate this guy!
Last but not least Chad. Chad needs help trying to decide exactly which event to kick your trash in. Running, biking, kayaking or under-water basket weaving Chad does them all. This weekend I got to play support crew for Chad as he did the LOTOJA. 208 miles over 3 mountain passes from Logan to Jackson. Yeah, even makes the Mormon Pioneers shudder in pain. A few choice quotes from Chad as he completed this event in 11 hours. ”Gosh, that was the funnest 30 miles ever” or “Not too bad, I mean we could have done better than the 20+ MPH we did UP that canyon” and my favorite was “Wow, I feel really good” as he walked away from the finish line like he just got up off the couch! Wouldn’t you just love to slap him?
If you ever start to think you are pretty fit and cool then come visit my neighborhood. I will introduce you to the 3 amigos, then you can feel as pathetic as I do.
(I really hope that if they stumble across this blog post they have a sense of humor than matches their leg muscles!)
p.s. This weekend.. I ate a whole plate of cookies in like 5 hours. Yeah, I am the man!

6 comments:

Tiffanie said...

I hate Shane, Nick and Chad. They should not be allowed to associate with regular, radondish, people. I am with Ross...warning signs should be placed on all of the streets in the Valley warning potential buyers of what they are headed into. Troy and I were blindsided by the mandatory neighborhood running clause. We came from a fat, lazy neighborhood. What gives? Is there hidden gold on the trails? Naked ladies?

Lisa Carter said...

That is hilarious. And I feel the same way about Chad and Nick. I don't know Shane, but I can dislike his physical fitness just as well. One day, when I actually exert some energy, I'm going to be just like them. (I may be a celestial being by then, but at least I have dreams)

P.S. my word verification is stsma. What the ... Just trying to make me feel worse.

ross Walker said...

Tiff.... dont tell the secret of who is on the trails! We should get signs. Warn people that "Eden" is latin for "run till ya puke". Speaking of puking.. my wife has a great story about a run-puke.

Kelli, sorry there were not more photos... the guy doesn't hold still very long! I also spent quite a bit of time trying to find the jerk that was eating all the cookies from my truck.

Tesha said...

chad - your our idol!! way to go ~ i don't even know ross and i love him :) my exercise routine could make him feel better :)

Rip Curl Mom said...

Great post kell! Ross was so happy to be the team manager, I am sure he didn't even realize he was eating all the cookies. Although...that doesn't explain all of the other times he has eaten all the cookies...hmmmmmm

Angie said...

I feel ya, Ross.