Thursday, October 15, 2009

RULES TO LIVE BY

I went running a few days ago. The day after my run the following conversation took place between a person, who I shall refer to as idiot, and myself.

Idiot: Hey, I saw you speed walking yesterday.
I think to myself, "excuse me mista.......that was called running."
Kelli: Actually, I was running not speed walking there is a difference."
Idiot: WELL, you were not running when I saw you.....you definately were speed walking.
I think to myself.......he is a bigger loser than I thought.
Kelli: Hmmmmm......no, I am pretty sure I was running the whole time.
Idiot: WELL, I must have saw you when during the time when you weren't "pretty sure"
I think to myself do you want to take this outside buddy?
Kelli: Ha, Ha. See you around....Mr. Runner Police.
I secretly flipped him off in my mind as he turned and walked away.

I feel bad for mentally flipping him off, thus I decided to come up with my own Runner's etiquette to help other's not make the same mistake our village idiot did and to save people the humiliation of being called a speed walker when they are really a runner.
RUlE numero UNO: If the person looks like they are making a concerted effort. Call it running and not speed walking. This is the polite way. For example say, "Wow, I saw you out running the other day Kelli, one minute you were there and....flash.....the next minute you were gone. Don't say, "I didn't know you were a speed walker?"
Rule #2: Look for clues to distinguish a runner from a speed walker. In running generally there is more perspiration than walking and people generally tend to move their legs a little bit faster. (Runners also tend to poop their pants more than walkers....sorry to be so graphic, but, I have seen a lot of marathons in my days). Use this as a guide to help you decide if you are dealing with a runner or a speed walker.
RUle #3: If you can't tell if they are running or walking by the clues, error on the same side you would if you were wondering if a woman is pregnant. Case in point: NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant unless you see a baby emerging at that exact moment (best advice I could ever give). Thus, just assume the "exerciser" is a runner and not a speed walker......this will make them feel good.
RULE #4: Always, Always, Always end on a positive. Tell them they were looking good running. For example you should say, "You know what you were looking great out there just a running along the side of the road. " Don't ever say, "Hey, yeah so I saw your bum jiggling around as you were speed walking the other day. You looked like you were about to have a heart attack."

6 comments:

Ferguson Family said...

Good rules Kelli! Don't feel too bad though I was actually beat by a "speed walker" in my first marathon. I'm still a little upset.

Wight Family said...

those are terrific rules Kelli. I think that you should write more rules. Maybe ones about driving the canyon, cause a lot of people doing that bother me. Or about the secrets of Nanner. Good thoughts, and I don't think your bum jiggles one bit, just in case you were wondering.

The Huntsville Dunns said...

LOL....I actually saw you RUNNING just the other day and I though to myself...."that girl looks good...OH, wait, it's Kelli." By then it was to late to honk. I promise this is a true story! Keep it up!

TeamTyson said...

Kelly you are going down swingin!! I love it. Keep up the good work and don't listen to idiots who are just jealous that you run so gracefully you LOOK like you are waking.

Lisa Carter said...

Kel,
I love you more than candy! (That's a lot) You have totally made my night. I'm laughing out loud when just minutes ago I was in tears.
Love ya cousy,
Lisa

Tiffanie said...

Kelli, you are great at following your own rules. You tell me that you see me running even when I AM walking. You do make me feel better. That is the only reason I can continue with such an insane sport. Oh wait, I quit. I am off to the world of triathlons! By the way, if you see my butt jiggling while I am doing the front crawl (under water)...we are in trouble!